New to Hiring Refugees?

National in scope but with local understanding, Higher can match companies with prospective employees and provide support services that improve job retention rates.  The match is accomplished with partnerships with local resettlement agencies and ethnic-community organizations along with an in-depth knowledge of local labor market conditions and corporate staffing needs. Higher provides education and outreach to build community support, identifies existing resources that can be utilized by new employees, and endorses the corporate responsibility of companies that hire new Americans.

Higher wants to connect your company with motivated workers today. Across the United States, businesses like yours have found refugees to be dependable, hard-working, and knowledgeable employees. In fact, many employers are quick to report that their refugee workers are some of the best members of their team! Let us know what your employment needs are by sending us an email here, and we will be in touch with some solutions.

Looking for a guide on how to hire refugees? Recently, the TENT Foundation and Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service published a very helpful guidebook for employees. This guidebook outlines essential information on the logistics, benefits, challenges and solutions related to refugee recruitment and employment retention in the United States. Click here for access to the report or visit the Resources page on the TENT Foundation’s site. 

There is also a helpful document from the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices which talks about the employment authorization of refugee and asylees. Please click here to access this document.  

Training or Consulting Opportunities

With over 15 years of experience supporting career entry and advancement for new Americans, Higher is an expert in cultural competence and American workforce standards and practices. Higher provides training on a range of topics that can facilitate employee growth and strengthen workplace performance for entry-level workers through management.  Consulting services are also available to help corporations craft effective recruitment strategies and develop appropriate responses to challenges posed by today’s business environment. To inquire about training or consulting needs, please email information@higheradvantage.org.

Quick Links for Employers

Here is some information for employers, please feel free to contact us if you are looking for more resources or have questions. 

Q: Who resettles refugees? There are 9 national Resettlement Agencies that settle refugees all across the US, together they have over 300 local affiliates across the US.

Church World Service  Ethiopian Community Development Council Episcopal Migration Ministries 
 Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society International Rescue Committee Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service
United Conference of Catholic Bishops US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants    World Relief

    Q: Where is the local office closest to my company’s location. 

Click here to find the office closest to your company’s location.


Q: Refugees are legal to work in the US, what documents do they have the grant work authorization?

Refugees are authorized to work because of their immigration status. Just as in the case of any employee, a refugee may choose to present any applicable document from the Lists of Acceptable Documents. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) provides refugees electronic and paper forms of the I-94 for proof of legal status and employment authorization as well as Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

The new electronic Form I-94 for refugees does not include an admission stamp but provides the class of admission as “RE” and admit until date as “D/S.” If a refugee presents a Form I-94 computer-generated printout for Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, the employer must accept it as a receipt establishing both employment authorization and identity for 90 days. No later than the end of the 90-day receipt period, the refugee must present an EAD (Form I-766) or a combination of a List B document and an unrestricted Social Security card.