Are your agencies promoting the strengths of diversity in the workplace? Are the employers you work with a set of values and principles that recognize diversity? Below are some value adds that refugees bring to the workplace and you can promote to employers.
Customer Focus – matching internal employee diversity to population diversity can provide performance benefits which enhance awareness of consumer needs.
Business Process – recruiting diverse talent will help inject new ideas and challenge the organizational mindsets and ways of doing things that can hinder change and organizational process.
Innovation – the flexibility, creativity, and ability to innovate are enhanced by the existence of dissimilar mindsets. Constructive conflict supports “out of the box” thinking.
Learning – employers have more choice from a greater skills base, improved employee satisfaction, and reduced internal disputes, greater workplace harmony, improved retention, and more effective and fairer promotion of talent. Knowledge is retained in the business and shared more effectively.
When working with a new employer, it is wise to consider the following:
Does the employer…. (Examine the company’s mission and value statements)
- Have a set of values and principles that recognize diversity;
- Demonstrate behaviors, attitudes, policies, and structures that enable them to work effectively cross-culturally and value diversity;
- Conduct self-assessment to ensure sensitivity to cultural characteristics;
- Commit to manage the “dynamics of difference;”
- Learn about and incorporate cultural knowledge into their practices, and
- Adapt to diversity and the cultural contexts of the communities they serve.
If the answer is yes, then the company will most likely be a good match for your clients.
Director of Higher