Higher was awarded a new 3-year technical assistance grant from the Office of Refugee Resettlement at the beginning of October. Since that time, we have been working hard to define our work plan by talking to local service providers and other key stakeholders in refugee employment.
Higher’s technical assistance for the coming year includes a stronger focus on community engagement. This is right in line with our new approach and we are pleased to be able to work with ORR to use employment as a critical community engagement strategy.
Our three main priorities in the coming year include:
1) Develop a jobs database by developing national relationships with companies who are interested in hiring refugees
2) Pilot an employment mentoring initiative to deepen social networks for job seekers from a refugee background
3) Create online training for both refugees and service providers that build skills to be successful in the workplace, as a job seeker and job developer, respectively.
Want to be more involved in Higher’s efforts? Here are two ways you can join now!
1) Become a Peer Expert. Higher’s peer experts regularly offer guidance on individual technical assistance needs and also are called upon to help shape Higher’s business development strategy. Send your resume to Higher along with a brief introduction about your background in refugee employment.
2) Contribute to Higher’s Blog and Website. We are looking for guest contributions from service providers, employers and refugees themselves about all things related to refugee employment. Share a success story, a lesson learned, a new tool or useful resource. Contact Higher with your contributions.
As always, let Higher know how we can help you. We are your consultants and look forward to working together in the year ahead so that more refugees work.