After Higher’s initial post acknowledging the stress we’re all feeling around ACA, we found out more. Thanks to Tina Fang, formerly with RHTAC, for sharing her wealth of knowledge about ACA.
These new finds, and the resources provided in a previous post, would also be great to pass along to employers. They could then provide them to all of their employees – including the clients you’ve placed in their job openings. You could send a quick email to your key employer contacts with links from Higher’s ACA posts. Great customer service for both of your key customers – clients and employers.
- ORR has a whole office dedicated to Refugee Health. It’s a great resource. They will very soon announce the release of an introductory video in six refugee languages that explains basics about health insurance and ACA.
- The Kaiser Family Foundation continues to play a leadership role in providing information and analysis related to ACA. Among other resources, they offer an interactive map with updates from all 50 States and a great animated overview of ACA targeting consumers in English and Spanish.
Where to Start?
States decide whether or not to expand Medicaid as part of expanded coverage access. They also decide how healthcare coverage will be provided in their State. They can develop a State market place, work jointly with the national market place or rely solely on the national option. No matter how those two components take shape, each State will be required to have at least 2 designated “navigator” organizations to assist with enrollment. It will look different in every State, as will the funding source for that resource.
Answering these three questions for your State is a good place to start exploring how you will help refugees navigate all of the changes and options:
- Will Medicaid coverage be expanded in your State?
- Will the Healthcare Marketplace take the State, Federal or combined approach?
- What are the designated navigator organizations in your State and which one(s) might be the most appropriate resource for you and your clients? Download a PDF listing all of the organizations contracted to serve as ACA navigators by State.