In a previous blog post, I shared a link to an article listing 25 sources of free, on-line courses since so many of our clients prioritize education. E-learning could be a good resource for clients with the appropriate language skills, initiative and computer access.
I just found this advice for how to actually go about selecting and sticking to a class.
The whole article is valuable, but here are the 9 Steps in case you don’t have time to read more right now:
- Test the platforms and the professor (reputation and experience count)
- Pick the right course
- Do the assignments, and take the quizzes (don’t just audit)
- Don’t’ push the prerequisites
- Set a schedule, and stick to it
- Give it at least a week before committing to any course
- Pick something you actually want to take, and have a good reason to do it
- Connect with the professor or staff and the community taking the course
- Figure out the time commitment you’re willing to make, and be honest