…from Higher’s OSC Webinar
I am a newbie in refugee employment since becoming Higher’s Network Outreach Coordinator three months ago. I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can, just like many of you.
Here are 5 things that I learned from last week’s webinar with the Office of Special Counsel (OSC):
- The OSC wants to assist employers, employees, and resettlement agencies to ensure our clients achieve self-sufficiency. Customer Service. Not bureaucracy.
- A call to OSC’s Worker Hotline (1-800-255-7688) will be answered by a real person in 2 minutes or less. That’s right. Real Person. 2 Minutes.
- The OSC can take immediate action. Sometimes they can get your clients back to work on the same day. The. Same. Day.
- Clients with no SSN can still be hired and get paid – just enter all zeros. IRS publication 15 provides guidance on this very topic. (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p15–2013.pdf)
- Webinars about e-Verify are offered for free all the time at the OSC website. (http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/osc/webinars.php)
Here’s a drop box link to get the powerpoint slides, a webinar recording and tons more great resources from the webinar.